Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Q&A with Dubai Based Egyptian Rapper Tac !

TAC

Big Hass: First off, how long you been in Dubai and how did you get into Hip-Hop?
Tac: I've been in Dubai for more or less the last 20 years. The story of how I got into Hip-Hop is a very long one, but to make it short and sweet, on December 12, 2012 I wrote and recorded my first song under the supervision of my mentors over Skype. And the biggest battery in my back was that 20 year rap veterans were telling me I could become the best rapper in the world after hearing that first song. And ever since then its been my goal. 

BH: Tell us about the name, TAC?
Tac:The name is hilarious to me till this day because of how it came about; I was 13 and extremely angsty. I called myself
The Anti Christ because I thought I was cool and tough. 
One day one of my friends called out to me saying "Hey Tac!", And I got super confused and asked him what the hell a 'Tac' was. He said, and I quote "N*gga, I ain't about to call you The Anti Christ every time I wanna talk to you." And ever since then, the name stuck. It no longer stands for The Anti Christ. It's just Tac now. Also a big pet peeve is when people spell is in all caps like TAC. It's actually just Tac. But I understand why people make the assumption that it stands for something so I don't mind. 

BH: As an Egyptian Rapper, did it ever cross your mind to rap in Arabic?
Tac: Never in my life will I ever rap in Arabic. I can barely even speak it, let alone come up with rhymes that don't sound like 3 year old nursery rhymes. 

BH: Tell us about your collaboration with MENON, The Recipe on the remix track of "Regula", how did that come about?
Tac: That collabo was amazing. And it came to me at just the right time. Bless Menon for that, really. I had just landed in Dubai after battling some issues in Egypt and not being able to leave the country. And my inspiration was completely gone. He called me literally the day I landed and told me about the track, and I was like "YES, PLEASE YES!" It really put me back onto my grind. Especially because a song with Menon was long overdue, and to make it even better The Recipe are on it, Frankly I lost my sh*t. I can say with confidence that that song has the best rappers in the middle east region on one FIRE track. 


BH: Who are some of the rappers that you listen to internationally/locally?
Tac : Oh man. HASS will know this because of his Madvillainy shirt but I am a HUGE fan of MF DOOM. I listen to Kendrick, Milo, Death Grips, Jay-Z etc.. I have a very awkward taste in music. 
As for local artists, The Recipe, Menon, KC Hamada, JustNishan, Coat of Arms, Shebani, Abri, Laura Lopez and honestly there are so much more that I appreciate, but those are the ones I listen to the most. 


MF DOOM 

BH: When you dropping your next single?
Tac : My next single will be dropping sometime in mid-late November. I have a very special feature on there, that I am very excited for people to hear. 

BH: Tac, what scares you? "if anything"?
Tac: I don't fear ANYTHING on this planet. The only thing that scares me is losing my voice. It's the only thing I can count on. Anything that would stop me from being able to rap and make music will completely destroy me. 


BH: Any Last words..
Tac: I am not in this for a short time. Or a good time. I will spend at least 30 years on the throne when I pop.

Follow Tac
Instagram 

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis