Sunday, October 21, 2018

Q&A with Amy Roko

Amy Roko (Photo by AMS/Direction by Ali Cha'aban)


I had the pleasure to connect/interview Saudi Personality Amy Roko! She's incredibly funny and I truly am a huge fan. Go check out her instagram page and show her some love.


BIG HASS:  Can you give us a story on how you got into comedy?

AMY ROKO: I still have no idea how, to me I consider it luck. I was watching all the viners going crazy on vine and I just wanted to post something out there that was related to me and how I feel (yes I was part of the relatable af hashtag don’t judge I was a kid) and people saw it on vine and posted it on twitter and here we are. 


BH: You have great influence. DO you feel pressured that you have to always do the right thing? & give the right message?

AR: Honestly I try as much as I can to do the right thing you know, even though I believe that everyone has the right to post whatever they want, it still scares me sometimes because I don’t want to offend anyone or send the wrong message. Like personally that scares me a lot. I don’t want to feel that burden of hurting someone and not knowing about it. 


BH: Who is your inspiration when it comes to Comedy?

AR: Whoa the list does not end, Eddie Murphy, Dave Chappelle, Trevor Noah are on the top of my list. 


BH: Where did you get your English Accent from?

AR: Oh my accent, well from school, I went to a school with a British curriculum (this is why I pronounce a lot of words the British way) then changed to an American one. Also my dad. 


BH: Tell us about how fame changed your life?

AR: It was an eye opener, now mind you I had no idea how the media/social media life is so this made me more aware of this whole new world. 


BH: There aren't many Saudi female comedians. I know there are lots of restrictions but you're somehow a voice for them. If they are listening/reading this now. What do you tell them?

AR: BRUH this is going to suck (giving out advice is not my forte) but mute the voices and do what you love, being judged is the worst thing in the world especially when people think their opinions matter, mute them out and do you. You’ll be amazed by yourself. 


BH: What has been the best feedback/comment you received? (something that Impacted you) 

AR: This kid sent me a DM on Instagram saying, “I go back and watch all your videos when I’m sad and they make me feel better so thank you.” I don’t think I’ve even heard someone say something this nice to me ever.

Amy Roko (Photo by AMS/Direction by Ali Cha'aban)


BH: I am sure you get "hate mail" & messages that might discourage you. How do you find the motivation to keep going? (what keeps you going)


AR: I remember I was really sensitive about hate messages especially the fact that I didn’t understand why would they attack me when they don’t even know me? I realized though, haters have nothing else to do and they need that attention, ignore and you win. 


BH: Do you think the fact that you are veiled comes out as an obstacle to what you do or does it trigger curiosity?  


AR: I still don’t fully understand how people think it’s an obstacle because it doesn’t stand in my way you know what I mean? I don’t see it that way, in fact I’ve done the most craziest stuff wearing it (wow tmi much). I mean I’m not not wearing it to trigger curiosity or anything because I’m not wearing it for you (not you personally), I’m wearing it for me so as far as how people feel I have no idea.


BH: You are a fan of hip hop, who are your fav international and Arabic rappers.?

I don’t have favorites but recently I’ve been listening to Logic, Kendrick Lamar and Kanye a lot. Arabic rappers wow. I cannot wait for this generation of rappers I have high hopes to be honest I need a fire playlist. That Slow mo and Moayad is a BOP. I listen to Flipperachi as well. Yes a short list but we need more rappers. Preferably women.


BH: Tell re-volt something not a lot of people know about you

AR: As I got into the social media world, I tried to distance myself from it, the main reason why is because I felt like I was sharing to much and I don’t want that, I like to keep my private life private and social media just makes me feel like my house is made out of glass and everyone could see right through. That or I watched a lot of Black mirror. Basically that’s why I’m absent most of the time, because I feel like I’ve already shared too much. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis